This summer I’m working on solo and collaborative projects in NYC residencies in The Bronx and on Governor’s Island.
– I’ve moved in to my new Bronx studio at Andrew Freedman Home. I join an amazing group of artists, entrepreneurs and activists in this revitalized mansion on the Grand Concourse. I’ll be making video portraits of the community centered around AFH – contact me to schedule a visit!
– 26JUL17 through 30AUG17 Xavier Figueroa, Benton C Bainbridge Meeting Point at Andrew Freedman Home. I’m showing solo and collaborative media art in the AFH Barcid Gallery. The works include my generative video synth installation #PERSIST, Double Mirror, an interactive portraiture installation, my lenticular collaboration with Jeff Carpenter Just A Sec and a new collaboration with Xavier Figueroa.
– Friday, 21JUL17 Pausa at Subtropics Festival, Miami
Barbara Held will perform Pausa with my media artwork New Year, New Forms (Mae West Lips)
– For the month of September, my collaborator Gryphon Rue and I will transition from Summer to Fall in a residency at Public Works Department on Governor’s Island. The Rue Bainbridge project pairs Gryphon’s singing saw with my Lisa Joy light drawings for mesmerizing improvisations and installations.
– Lisa Joy (W) was included in “Stronger Together” a group exhibit for Creative Technology Week Arts Hub. My generative light drawing object was shown alongside art by Seth Cluett, Carla Gannis, Blake Marques Carrington, Ursula Endlicher, Eric Corriel, and other prominent NYC artists working with media and computer technology. Here’s a review and photos, highlighting Lisa Joy.
– My solo Video Synth set was featured in the Confetti Machine festival of realtime media performance art.
– On June 9 we wrapped Season 10 of One Step Beyond at American Museum of Natural History with a special media and fashion performance with Yelaine Rodriguez. Yemaya featured Yelaine’s light reflecting tribute to the water Orisha, performed by Dada Coz with projections by Melanie Gonzalez. I image processed the live feed onto the screens throughout the Hall of the Universe, with guest remix performance by Enayet Kabir.
– On June 21, Gryphon Rue and I kicked off the Summer with a free Solstice performance for Make Music at Commend NYC.
– From June 15 through July 15, my collaborator Barbara Held and I contributed Pausa, generative audiovisual media art made with custom software and hardware, to the sound art group exhibition Ruidos, silencio, acciones, poesía, música experimental y arte sonoro, 1950-2017 at Juan Naranjo Gallery in Barcelona, Spain. The show included work by John Cage, Pierre Schaeffer, Pierre Henry, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Walter Marchetti, Tacita Dean, Ana Solano, Steve Reich, Phillip Glass, Brian Eno, Robert Ashley, Bob Wilson, La fura dels Baus and Marcel.lí Antúnez.
Wishing you and yours a happy Summer 2017!
Benton C Bainbridge